Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Papier Tole Shop at Intramuros, Manila, Philippines


If you happen to travel in Metro Manila, Philippines, you must include Intramuros in your itinerary. There are lots of souvenir shops that are still existing and thriving money-wise because of the tourist influx in this walled city in the metro.
It's Hispanic influences are well-preserved, from the sentries or guards with its 18th century uniforms and the existence of caretelas or horse-driven carriage that fetches tourists to tour the very small city.
The baroque-styled church at Beaterio street is often photographed by the tourists and city dwellers as well due to its grandiose presence.
Since Intramuros is also the place where my manning agency (for my work overseas) is located, I used to take photos of what interest me inside the walled city.
The souvenir shop where I used to visit is The Papier Tole Shop, established in 1668 as major hub for recycled paper products. The Spanish regime left a very important contribution to the Filipino people by utilizing their artistic talent and skills as it leave unique masterpieces for the unique paintings in 3D or in watercolor, paper dolls, necklaces and other paper products.

The blogger @ The Papier Tole Shop (backside)

 The Papier Tole Shop is now owned and managed by Mrs. Ruby Lee. Thanks to the ever humble shop attendant-worker Meliton Batac for giving me an overview about the souvenir shop and gave me access to take photos, so that I can complete this blog.
The 3D paintings I used to gaze and admire are masterpieces of Filipino artists, like Antonio Mendoza. 
The additional souvenir items, aside from recycled paper products are also getting noticed by the tourists.
For a sampler, I bought a P40-peso notepad (3 pcs for P100 pesos) for my personal notes.


One of the shop attendant-worker





No comments:

Post a Comment